Skip to main content

Apartment & Condo Insurance in MD, PA, WV, & VA

Whether for better or for worse, life happens. Unexpected events can put our housing situation at risk, and leave our financial stability uncertain. 

People who rent housing are at particularly high risk for these precarious outcomes. 

Many renters believe they are covered by their condo association’s insurance policy, but this is not often the case. The master condo policy typically protects only the shell of the building, the grounds, and the common areas. It also protects the association from liability, but coverage does not extend to renters. 

This means that all your belongings inside the condo or apartment, as well as the people who visit or live there, are unprotected. 

That’s why you need a personal apartment or condo insurance plan. These plans are similar to landlord insurance and renters insurance, but they are specially designed for your particular situation. 

Your personal condo insurance plan can fill in the gaps left by the master plan, such as:

  • Medical expenses
  • Personal property 
  • Betterments & improvements 
  • Physical damage
  • Additional living expenses
  • Personal & Family liability 
  • Loss assessment 
  • Theft coverage
  • Weather damage including severe wind, lightning, and frozen pipes
  • And more!

It can be confusing to figure out exactly what coverage you need for your condo unit, but Antietam Insurance is happy to help. We can work with you to find a coverage plan that suits your needs and fits your budget. 

We are a family-owned business proud to serve Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Virginia.

Since 1957, we have acted as risk advisors and financial advocates to our local community. As an independent agency, our primary focus is our clients, not the bottom line of the major corporations. 

Let us walk you through your options with a no-cost, no-obligation phone call. Contact Antietam Insurance today!

How can apartment and condo insurance protect you?
Use the yellow hot spots and explore how apartment and condo insurance can help protect against common risks.
Betterments and Improvements
Risk Factor

Any betterments, improvements, alterations, or additions made to your condominium are subject to damage. However, it’s important to make sure they’re covered appropriately.


Be sure to obtain coverage for any betterments, improvements, alterations, and additions made to the unit. This includes, but is not limited to, kitchen cabinets, built-in wall units, wall-to-wall carpeting, wallpaper, paint, bathroom fixtures, tile and wood flooring, and more.

Personal Property
Risk Factor

Unpredictable losses can occur to your property due to burglary, fire, water damage, storm, and more.


Personal property, such as furniture, rugs, TVs, stereos, clothes, and more may be covered under your basic insurance policy. However, items like jewelry, furs, silverware, antiques, collectibles, and other valuables should likely be insured separately.

Additional Living Expenses
Risk Factor

Additional living expenses can be incurred if there is damage to your unit due to a fire, storm, or other event resulting in your need to live at a temporary residence.


Ensure you have the proper coverage in case you need to live elsewhere for a little while. Coverage usually includes hotel bills, restaurant meals, and other living expenses incurred while your residence is being repaired or rebuilt.

Personal and Family Liability
Risk Factor

You're responsible if a guest in your unit trips and falls or sustains an injury while on your property or if you cause damage to other units.


Be sure that you have coverage for claims made against you for bodily injury or property damage caused by your negligence, whether intentional or not. This might include damage to other units in the building, perhaps caused by a leaking pipe in your unit or otherwise.

Medical Expenses
Risk Factor

You're responsible if a guest is injured while on your property and you may be required to pay their medical expenses.


Ensure your insurance policy covers this risk. In the event a person is injured in your unit, he or she can submit medical bills to your insurance company. Medical expenses are usually paid without a liability claim being filed against you, with typical limits ranging from $1,000 to $5,000.

Loss Assessment
Risk Factor

If your building owner or association suffers a loss and doesn't have adequate insurance coverage of their own, they may require you to help pay for the loss via an assessment.


Consider loss assessment coverage to protect yourself in the event of an assessment caused either by a property (building) or liability loss. A range of limits may be available.

Physical Damage
Risk Factor

Physical damage can happen in many ways. As one example, suppose a fire unexpectedly breaks out in the utility closet and consumes the building causing significant damage.


Be sure your condominium owner, association, or corporation carries a comprehensive policy to cover the risk of physical damage. It’s important to know what the policy includes and what it doesn’t, which could range from covering just the shell of the building to including things like floors and walls.

Let’s discuss your apartment and condo insurance.

One of our insurance advisors will reach out to you to review your information and present you with the appropriate apartment and condo insurance solution. There’s no obligation, just good-old-fashioned advice.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Antietam Insurance Associates, Inc. offers comprehensive apartment and condo insurance in Hagerstown and Boonsboro, Maryland and in Martinsburg, Falling Waters and Inwood, West Virginia ; also throughout Pennsylvania, including Greencastle, Waynesboro, Chambersburg and Mercersburg.
Skip to content